Random and illustrative stories about the global pandemic and how businesses and various business sectors are trying to recover from it, with brief, occasional, italicized and sometimes gratuitous commentary…
• In the United States, there now have been 32,475,043 confirmed Covid-19 coronavirus cases, resulting in 581,542 deaths, and 25,043,463 reported recoveries.
Globally, there have been 142,819,229 coronavirus cases, with 3,046,282 resultant fatalities, and 121,353,574 reported recoveries. (Source.)
• As of this morning, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says, 50.7 percent of the US population age 18 or older has received at least one dose of a vaccine, and 33 percent is fully vaccinated. Among those 65 or older, 80.1 percent have received at least one dose, and 64.9 percent is fully vaccinated.
• The Wall Street Journal reports this morning that "newly reported Covid-19 cases and deaths in the U.S. rose from a day earlier, but even with all American adults now eligible for vaccines, federal health officials warned the U.S. faces a critical phase in the fight against the coronavirus.
"There were more than 67,000 new cases reported for Monday, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University and published early Tuesday morning Eastern time … Dr. Rochelle Walensky, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said Monday that the nation’s seven-day average was rising--it was 53,000 cases a day four weeks ago, she said--and that the U.S. was in a 'complicated stage' of the pandemic.
"Public-health officials and epidemiologists say the increases in Covid-19 cases in many parts of the country can be attributed to an array of factors including loosened restrictions, pandemic fatigue and a less-vaccinated younger population that may be more social or have public-facing jobs."
• Axios reports that "most Americans support the pause in distribution of the J&J vaccine, and there's no evidence so far that it worsened vaccine hesitancy … Republicans were almost as likely to support the pause as Democrats, an indication this issue hasn't been politicized … 91% knew about the move — an extremely high level of awareness for a news event, showing how closely Americans follow vaccine news."
• CNBC reports that the CDC is saying that "fewer than 6,000 cases of Covid-19 in fully vaccinated Americans … That represents just 0.007% of the 84 million Americans with full protection against the virus."
“This is really encouraging encouraging news," says CDC director Dr. Rochelle Walensky. "It demonstrates what we’ve already discussed about these vaccines. They also help prevent you from getting seriously ill."
• CNN reports that "the State Department announced Monday that it would begin to update its travel advisories to more closely align with those from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a change that 'will result in a significant increase in the number of countries at Level 4: Do Not Travel, to approximately 80% of countries worldwide.'
"'This does not imply a reassessment of the current health situation in a given country, but rather reflects an adjustment in the State Department's Travel Advisory system to rely more on CDC's existing epidemiological assessments,' the department said in a media note."