business news in context, analysis with attitude

The Orlando Business Journal reports that "Publix Super Markets has confirmed it is under contract to buy five Lucky's Market leases in Florida; and German discount grocery chain Aldi has confirmed it is in negotiations for several of the locations in the state, as well."

The news comes as Lucky's filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy yesterday and said it would close its Colorado headquarters.

The Denver Business Journal reports that Lucky's yesterday said it owes about $30  million to its 50 biggest creditors, has between 10,000 and 25,000 creditors in total, has assets worth between $100 million and $500 million and liabilities between $500 million and $1 billion.

The story notes that Kroger, "which announced late last year was selling its stake in the company, is listed as holding 55% of the equity interests in the Lucky Market Parent Company. Lucky's Founder Holdings LLC owns the remaining 45% stake in the parent company."