- H.E. Butt Grocery Co. reportedly will open a third HEB-Plus store that devotes more than a third of its sales floor to nonfoods. The first two opened in San Juan and Waco, Texas, with the third slated for Austin.
- Save-A-Lot franchisee Houchens Industries announced that it has made a deal to acquire 90-unit Food Giant Supermarkets in Missouri. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
- Jon Wilken, the former CEO of Bi-Lo from 1997 to 2001, reportedly has said that he is interested in acquiring the chain from Ahold now that it is on the sales block.
- The Wall Street Journal reports this morning that Hormel Foods Corp. plans to “raise the prices of hundreds of packaged food items 4.5% to 6.5% -- a move that could prompt broad price increases across the food industry.”
- PlanetRetail.net reports that Marks & Spencer’s board of directors is preparing to inform the company’s chairman, Luc Vandevelde, that he must commit more of his time to M&S or quit.
Vandevelde has been criticized for expanding his list of outside interests, of being “totally detached” from the troubled company’s operations, and creating an environment that is not supportive of the company’s new CEO, Roger Holmes, who is trying to turn the company around.
There also has been speculation that Marks & Spencer could be ripe for a takeover.