business news in context, analysis with attitude

As the acquisition of the UK's fourth-ranked supermarket chain, Safeway Plc, by number five Morrison Supermarkets nears closing, market share figures show that there continues to be some slight shifting among that country's food retailers.

In the quarter ending February 1, market leader Tesco increased its market share from 26.9 percent to 27.2 percent. Wal-Mart's Asda Group, which occupies the number two position, edged up from 17 percent to 17.1 percent. Sainsbury, which last year fell into the third position, also grew just a touch - from 16.4 percent to 16.5 percent.

Morrison's (6.5 percent) and Safeway (8.8 percent) have a combined 15.3 percent market share - with analysts believing that the combined companies will be better able to compete with the three bigger companies.
KC's View: